6 Time Management Hacks for Lawyers
January 17th, 2017 | By: Walker Advertising | Posted in: From the CEO
Many times the difference between a struggling attorney and a successful one is time management. In such a demanding industry, this executive functioning skill is absolutely vital for professional growth.
For ultimate productivity and efficiency, managing and making the most out of one’s time is a skill that should not be overlooked. The earlier one starts to learn how to manage his or her time well, the better it is for their personal and professional life. Adopting these habits early on in your career as an attorney will yield extremely positive results.
Time management looks different for everyone. Every professional has their own system in place that helps them best manage their time. Without a solid plan or system, it is extremely difficult for attorneys to maintain a healthy work/life balance they can continue long-term.
With an intentional plan in place, professionals can accomplish more tasks in less time, and spend more time doing things they enjoy. This healthy balance actually results in more productivity and efficiency. Those who overwork themselves, often end up burning out and not doing as well as they had hoped. Make sure this doesn’t happen to you.
Here are 6 time management hacks for lawyers to try on for size:
- Never underestimate the power of a good to-do list. Not only is it important to keep track of the various tasks you need to accomplish that day, but writing down your goals also helps clear your mind. Although you might have a master calendar or list, daily to-do lists are extremely effective. Create a list at the end of each day so you have a clear plan for the day ahead. It’s a great way to de-clutter your brain, so you can focus more on the task at hand.
- Use calendar tools or apps on your phone or tablet. Take advantage of all that technology has to offer by upgrading your calendar to an app that is always with you, no matter what. The beauty of calendar apps is in its ability to alert and categorize. You can even share calendars with various colleagues and family members for more cohesiveness and organization.
- Take care of the tedious tasks first. The things you are dreading most are often those that keep moving down on your to-do list. This is the root of procrastination, and it goes without saying that procrastination is the number-one deterrent of time-management.
- Get your sleep! Rest is absolutely vital for efficiency and productivity. Without the proper amount of sleep every night, professionals will not have the clear mind and focus they need to manage their time properly. Don’t neglect your need for sleep. Although you may feel that you are doing just fine on just a few hours, that is definitely not the case.
- Don’t aim too high. When planning your tasks for the day, avoid being an unrealistic overachiever. Limit your to-do list to three important tasks. If you complete more than that, then that is great! However, if you don’t, then you will still feel the success and effectiveness of completing all of the tasks you had set for the day.
- Assign others within your firm to take care of some of the tasks. Separate your to-do list with things that must be completed by you, and tasks that can be taken care of by someone else. Although most attorneys and business professionals like to be in control of all of the work themselves, their time can be spent more effectively on the larger, more important tasks when they are not occupying themselves with less significant duties.